11.23.2008

Stones Of Ebenezer
One of my favorite stories in the Bible is not your usual David and Goliath, or even Noah's chronicle, but a story about victory in the life of the Isrealites. As you know, after they FINALLY were led out of captivity form slavery in Egypt, only to continue to live a live of spiritual bondage and rebel towards the God who saved their necks! They worshiped pagan Gods and practiced false religion and b/c of theor sin, God disciplined them,and let them wander aimlessly in the wilderness for 40 years!
FINALLY, after a generation had passed, God used Joshua and Caleb to lead the Isrealites into the Promsed Land. They had to cross the Jordan River to do so. God intructed them to gather 12 stones, ( like the 12 tribes of Israel) make a tower from these stones and name it Ebenezer, meaning, "God has brought me this far!" to help them remember where they had come from and that thier promise awaited them on the other side. What an awesome word picture to describe what God had done. Every time they passed this place, it would help them recall their journey with God!
Several years ago, I was leading a Beth Moore Study and she mentioned these ideas in her teaching that Monday night. I was smack in the middle of an excrutiating journey of dealing with events in the past that has enslved me to fear and depression. I was at the point where I was REALLY getting out of the pit, God called me to have an Ebenezer moment!
I had recently gone to a new job and was finding the quickest route to get there from my home and from my kids' schools. I took a new route that morning, and as I rounded a very wide curve, I passed it....it was at least 6 feet tall, different sized rocks, all stacked in a tall column, my very own tower of Ebenezer! Not only that , it was situated in front of Ebenezer Church of God! There was no mistaking it! I stopped and worshipped that morning, thanking God for getting me that far in my journey, and praising Him that I was beginning a new chapter in my walk with Him- into his Promised Land for me!
Stop and Praise Him today that He has brought you thisfar and that
He has great plans for your life!




No comments: